Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Kiffin goes Hollywood


As you might have heard by now,Lane Kiffin has ditched the University of Tennessee to become the new head coach at USC. Why hang out with Pat Summitt and Bruce Pearl when you can have Snoop and Will Ferrell on the sidelines?

This decision makes no sense to me, because I don't see what makes Kiffin so appealing to USC. Maybe its his hot wife Layla,or maybe USC knows something I don't, but at the moment this doesn't make sense.

I know that Kiffin was the USC offensive coordinator between 2001 and 2006, but how many times has a successful OC been a crappy head coach? Remember how Charlie Weis was such an offensive genius at New England? What happened to him at Notre Dame?
I based my argument on what he did as a Head Coach, and that ain't much.

When I think of the successor to Pete Carroll, who won seven Pac-10 titles and 1 national championship in SoCal, I think of somebody that is respected, has a winning track record, and is willing to be there for the long-term.

Lane Kiffin certainly hasn't earned respect as a coach, because in his two years with the headset all he has done is antagonize Oakland Raiders' owner Al Davis and run his mouth about how much he wanted to kick Florida's ass on the field, which by the way never happened.

He also doesn't have a winning pedigree,unless a 5-15 record with the Raiders and a 7-6 stint with the Volunteers is supposed to impress anybody.

I also don't think he is going to be there for the long-term. Kiffin said that USC was the only place he would have left Tennessee for, so what happens if the Colts or the Cowboys come calling? Is he going to bolt for them just as quickly? Something about two teams in two years doesn't scream commitment to me.

Then again, I could be wrong and Kiffin could go 11-1 next year, win a national championship, and be at USC for 15 years while his wife guest stars in "The Blind Side 2: The Misadventures of Michael Oher and Ray Lewis".

0 comments:

Post a Comment