Friday, January 15, 2010

Round 2 of the NFL Playoffs: It is Karma-stic!



Is that even a word? I Googled it, and apparently it is not. But whatever, my point is that the Divisional round of the NFL playoffs are going to prove if karma really does exist. Will the Colts pay for spitting in the face of a perfect season? Will the Jets continue riding their improbable momentum wave? Will I go 4-0 with my picks and be dubbed an NFL expert?
Anyway, here are my picks...


Saints 45-Arizona 35: New Orleans is favored by a touchdown in this game, so it is very tempting to go with the Cardinals in this game, but I won't. You want to know why? No? Well, I am going to tell you anyway. The Cardinals are emotionally spent after their 51-45 overtime victory over Green Bay, and Kurt Warner would have to play just as brilliantly as he did in that game to keep up with Drew Brees. Besides, the Saints have a chip on their shoulder after losing their last three regular season games and being written off by all the experts.

Ravens 20-Colts 17: The Colts made an undefeated season look like a joke of an accomplishment when they pulled their starters against the New York Jets in Week 15, and the Ravens' defense is made for the postseason. If the Ravens can make Manning squirm with Terrell Suggs pressuring him like he pressured Brady, they can just sit back in coverage and let Ed Reed do his thing while Ray Rice allows them to control time of possession. However, if they fall behind early, I don't know if Joe Flacco has it in him to lead his team back.


Cowboys 30-Vikings 28
: This is the game I have the most doubts about. I don't know if Tony Romo will be able to take the next step in his career and get the clutch road victory in the playoffs. I don't know which Brett Favre will show up, the one that can throw a Hail Mary from midfield and score, or the one that throws four picks and costs his team the game. Plus, both coaches have a knack for losing playoff games.
I am going with momentum over rest and picking the Cowbowys to win it with a last second field goal.


Jets 17-Chargers 14
: Both teams are hot, with the Chargers having won 14 straight games and the Jets having convincingly beaten the Bengals in Cincy during Round 1. The Chargers are the sexy pick, but what I see is that the Chargers' passing game will be contained by the Jets' outstanding pass coverage, and if I have to decide between both teams' running games, I am leaning toward Rex Ryan's squad. And no, I can't believe I just typed that either, but that is why you gotta love sports, they rarely ever make any sense at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment