Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Sweet 16 predictions


I have three of my Final Four teams still alive, and considering how the tournament started for me that is nothing less than a minor miracle. The upsets killed me early on, leaving me in 22nd place out of the 25 people in my pool entering the Sweet 16, but I am counting on making a quality jump and getting into the Top 10 with the right results falling my way. Then again, has anything been predictable in this crazy NCAA Tournament? On to my predictions.

Kentucky 78-Cornell 68:
The Near Revenge of the Nerds. Cornell will keep the game close and give Ivy Leaguers everywhere hopes of pulling a proverbial wedgie over the heads of the Wildcats, their jocks and their basketball tradition. Then Kentucky will show their full potential and pull away in the final two minutes as they walk away with the girl and Cornell gets a pat in the back for trying.

Northern Iowa 75-Michigan State 72:
Ali Faroukmanesh! I just needed to get that out of the way. I love that guy and his balls of steel to shoot from anywhere, anytime for Northern Iowa. The combination of Northern Iowa riding their momentum after upsetting Kansas and Michigan State losing their point guard and best player will eventually do the Spartans in and let UNI dance into the Elite Eight.

West Virginia 62-Washington 55: West Virginia also lost its point guard to injury, but he is not their best player...Shooting Guard De'Sean Butler is. I picked West Virginia to win it all and damn it all I'm gonna stick with them through the end.

Ohio State 80-Tennessee 77:
Close game that will pit Ohio State's Evan Turner, arguably the best player in college basketball this year, against Tennessee's overall solid team effort. I think Turner will light up the scoreboard and will the Buckeyes to a tough win.

Syracuse 72-Butler 55:
This game won't be even close. Syracuse has dominated through the first two rounds and Butler hasn't proven to be a team that can get over the hump and become one of the true best teams in the nation.

Duke 68-Purdue 67: Most people think Duke will just roll over Purdue , but the Boilermakers are no pushovers and will make the Blue Devils sweat it out in a game that will come down to the final seconds.


Xavier 72-Kansas State 69
: Upset brewing in Salt Lake City, as seventh seeded
Xavier takes down Kansas State and advances thanks to stout defense and hitting key three-pointers when they need breathing room the most.

Baylor 75-Saint Mary's 66
: It's the Bears vs the Gaels. Baylor will have pseudo home-field advantage since the game will be played in Houston, Texas. Much closer to Baylor's campus in Waco, Texas than Saint Mary's in California.

0 comments:

Post a Comment