Friday, March 26, 2010

Trying to do too much


Would you want to stare at this mug for three straight hours?

I was watching the Miami Heat- Chicago Bulls game on TNT last night when right at the opening of the broadcast Ernie Johnson said that besides watching the game on TV, you could also go on your computer and watch the game on "TNT Overtime".
TNT OT offered two camera angles that followed the star player from each team, an above the rim camera and, get this, a camera totally fixated on the announcers for the entire game.
All I could think at the time was that I just wanted to watch the game and that the only way I would watch the announcer cam was if Brooklyn Decker, Sofia Vergara and Rachel McAdams were the announcers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation and making the game more accessible to fans. I like what CBS does streaming the NCAA Tournament live over the internet, but I can't stand it when networks try to do too much and stray away from the essence of the game itself and look desperate trying to pull so many gimmicks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment